Tuesday, December 11

"I'll ride with you in your B.M.W./You can sail with me in my Yellow Submarine"

I just finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and it was great. When I was little teachers would always have me read out loud. I loved reading, I still do. Words have such power and emotion. I always would wonder how the kids in my high school English classes could read a passage in monotone. I'm not going to give the ending away but it certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I want everyone I know to read it, It seems important for some reason. It made me think a lot about my time in high school. Feeling important and feeling some things I hope I never experience again.
I didn't have the normal high school experience, I guess in a way I got to see both sides of the coin. I got to see what it felt like to be the "popular cheerleader" as well as the "social outcast". And I use these terms in real life, because that's how I really felt.

Often times I read the Women's magazines like Cosmo or Glamour and I sit and quietly criticize the things they try to convince young girls. And while young, teen-girls may not be their target audience, those are the ones reading their magazines. I was one of them. And not once did what I read ever make me feel good. After closing the back cover (because I like to read from cover-to-cover) I felt more insecure about my looks, more alone because I didn't have a boyfriend in my life that I could "do things" with and like a failure because I can't handle my finances enough to be able to buy the clothes "fit for my body shape." But living with two other girls has made these types of magazines prominent in the apartment. So I read some of the January issue of Glamour and here are some things I would like to mention:
pg. 54 - The use of a Faux Fur coat as a "trendy new piece"
pg. 71 - A story about a wafer-thin celeb purchasing a cup of frosting at Cinnabon and "devouring" it.
pg. 80 - A guy stating that on a scale from 1 to 10 he's had a 6. "I have to know someone on a very deep level. I don;t think I've had a 10 yet." (I'm glad there are guys out there that are consciously aware of things like this.
pg. 80 - A gave gave his first threesome an 8, he said pleasing two girls is tiring and "next time he'll be sober" (I feel its important to mention both guys are the same age, 23)
And my favorite:
pg. 97 - "Hey, it's OK to call yourself a feminist but still believe in 'ladies first'"
I think it's my favorite because of its context and also where its located. I left out the last part because it made the sentence trivial.


I chose to quote the magazine as opposed to the book because I don't care if anyone reads the magazine. And if I read this and can't remember what was so great about the book I can go back and read it again.

Oh, and my Capricorn fashion trend is winged eyeliner.
"You have a goofy-sexy side, but you adore order"
I can't really disagree with that. (pg. 146)

No comments: